What your soil moisture data are trying to tell you
If you want accurate soil moisture data, correct sensor installation should be your number one priority. When measuring in soil, natural variations in density may result in accuracy loss of 2-3%, but a bad installation can potentially cause accuracy loss of greater than 10%. Poor installation is the most common source of error in soil moisture data, but there are techniques that will ensure a perfect installation every time. Sensor installation expert, Chris Chambers, explains why you need a smarter soil moisture sensor installation and how to achieve it.
- What good soil moisture data look like
- How various installation issues show up in your data (i.e, air gaps, a loose sensor, soil type change, depths crossing)
- How to ensure an accurate installation
- How the new TEROS Borehole Installation Tool reduces air gaps and site disturbance while improving consistency
- What other scientists are doing to ensure a correct installation