Low cost individual sensors for large sensor networks
The EC-5 delivers research-grade accuracy at a price that makes large sensor networks economically practical. You can adequately characterize your site with soil moisture sensors at multiple depths and locations, even if you’re on a tight budget.
Engineered for accuracy
The EC-5 determines volumetric water content (VWC) by measuring the dielectric constant of the media using capacitance/frequency domain technology. Its 70 MHz frequency minimizes salinity and textural effects, making this sensor accurate in almost any soil or soilless media. Factory calibrations are included for mineral soils, potting soils, rockwool, and perlite.
Just 5 cm long with a ~0.2 L measurement volume, this handy little sensor is easy to install in the field and can also be used in nursery pots. The EC-5’s compact design makes it easy to push directly into undisturbed soil to ensure good accuracy.
The EC-5’s analog signal means no-hassle integration with systems manufactured by other companies.
- Measures volumetric water content
- Affordable: ideal for large sensor networks
- Simple sensor with excellent accuracy
- Small volume of influence (eg., field spatial variability, lab column studies, or greenhouse research)
- 70 MHz frequency minimizes salinity and textural effects
- Factory calibrations included for mineral soils, potting soils, rockwool, and perlite
- Small size means easy installation
- Plug and play capability
- Easy integration with other systems
- Use with ZL6 data logger to collect data remotely
|Volumetric water content (VWC)|
10%–50% of excitation voltage (250–1,250 mV at 2,500 mV excitation)
|Data logger compatibility|
METER data loggers (ZL6, EM50/60 series, Em5b) or any data acquisition systems capable of switched 2.5–3.6 VDC excitation and single-ended
voltage measurement at greater than or equal to 12-bit resolution.
Length: 8.9 cm (3.50 in)
5 cm (1.97 in)
|Operating temperature range|
Minimum: –40 °C
5 m (standard)
3.5-mm stereo plug connector or stripped and tinned wires
|ELECTRICAL AND TIMING CHARACTERISTICS|
|Supply voltage (VIN to GND)|
Minimum: 2.5 VDC at 10 mA
Maximum 10 ms
Manufactured under ISO 9001:2015
California requires the following notice:
⚠️ WARNING: This product may contain chemicals including ethylene glycol, lead, nickel, styrene and cadmium, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
LEARN MORE WITH ARTICLES, CASE STUDIES, DEMOS, WEBINARS
- ZENTRA Cloud request a demo
- How to install soil moisture sensors—better, faster, and for higher accuracy
- The researcher’s complete guide to soil moisture
- How to calibrate soil moisture sensors
- Soil Moisture 101: Need to know basics
- Soil Moisture 102: Water content methods—demystified
- Case study: Using soil water sensors for efficient irrigation in greenhouses
- SEE ALL EC-5 KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLES
- SEE ALL EC-5 WEBINARS
Have a question or problem? Our support team can help.
We manufacture, test, calibrate, and repair every instrument in-house. Our scientists and technicians use the instruments every day in our product testing lab. No matter what your question is, we have someone who can help you answer it.
Phone Europe: +49 89 12 66 52 0