Dr. Brady Carter, METER’s Director of Food Science, shows how water activity influences the quality of snack foods using examples of snack food products.
Topics covered include:
- What is water activity?
- Water activity vs. moisture content
- Moisture sorption isotherms
- How water activity influences the factors that end shelf life
- Controlling water activity to lengthen shelf life using examples
- Tracking chemical reactions
- Stability testing
- Controlling microbial growth
- Avoiding moisture migration
- Isotherms, critical water activities, and phase transitions